Coaching for builders, contractors and trades
How I support business owners in construction
As a business-life coach for builders, I have worked with many builders, subbies and tradespeople over the years. The construction industry in Australia has many great opportunities to design and build Beautiful Businesses and Lives, but it also has a bunch of unique challenges. I love to support tradies to become mature business owners and help them build Beautiful Businesses and Lives.
“Working with Roland set the path for my business to be everything I dreamed it could be”
Does this sound like you?
When business coaching builders and trades, I’m often asked how to grow a business in the building industry, these are some of the things I hear people in construction say all the time (and to be honest, I’ve certainly said most of them myself at different times in my building days):
- “I spend so much time training my staff and as soon as they’re all trained up, they go and start out on their own.”
- “I spend days preparing detailed budget estimates for clients and architects but in the end, they still just pick the cheapest quote.”
- “I’m always the last one to get paid”
- “My staff earn more money than I do.”
- “As soon as I turn my back they stuff something up.”
- “I have no idea where I make money and where I lose money.”
- “I’m so busy but I think I made more money when I was on my own.”
- “I’m always struggling to pay the tax bill when it’s due.”
- “I’m running around from crisis to crisis, extinguishing brush fires all the time.”
- “I get stuck doing jobs I don’t actually want to do (my friend’s bathroom, my uncle’s deck).”
- “The last 5% of any job has as many challenges and takes as long as the first 50%.”
Being a former carpenter and builder myself, and having specialised as a business coach for builders, I know what those statements are about and I have worked with many builders, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters and others on turning those challenges around. Read the story of one of my favourite builder clients here
“Working with Roland taught me the correct way to run a business and more importantly, run it so that I can spend more time with my family.”
What you can expect from a business coach for builders:
How I’ll help you discover and build your own Beautiful Business and Life:
- Implementing better bookkeeping, workflow management and project management systems; Your fingers on the pulse of all the key indicators of the health of your business, as opposed to keeping your fingers crossed.
- Developing absolute clarity about the Purpose of your business; the reason your business exists and why anybody should care about that; Know where you’re going and how you’re getting there.
- Developing marketing plans that are simple and effective; Clients walk in the door, wanting to do business with you.
- Building relationships with the right people; Referral marketing is the most powerful way to build your business.
- Designing and implementing Quality Assurance and Safety approaches that are practical and appropriate for your business; Make your business run like a Swiss clock.
- Developing systems and procedures that you can rely on; Feel confident that things happen the way you want them to happen even when you’re not looking.
- Developing better approaches to managing and engaging your staff and your subbies, so that you won’t have to stand there and watch them all day.
“Roland helped me install the right systems into my business and helped put all the missing pieces together to form a business that is now performing 100% better on all fronts: It’s making profit, my clients love our work and my staff love working with me, and It’s a lot of Fun.”
Next step: The Five Steps:
If you do recognise some of those statements above, then I’d love to have a chat with you to explore if it might be a good idea for us to work together. To explore that question I generally ask people to work through my 5-Step Discovery Process with me, which is purely designed to answer that question for both of us.
The first steps in the process are free and there will be no pressure in any form. At the end of the process, it will be clear to both of us if we should engage and go on a journey and adventure together or not. follow the link to the 5-Step Discovery Process page. The page also outlines all of my regular programs. You can also go straight to my online booking calendar to book a free initial chat.
Business support, coaching and mentoring
There are many forms of support available to business owners: Short term, long-term, government-funded, private, highly personal and customised, or more templated. There is an entire page on this site that details the 7 main types of business support available. How to find the right support for your business is also one of the 7 Big Questions about building a beautiful business and life.
Business owners I work with and industry-specific coaching programs
I have written in detail about the business owners I work with, and furthermore, as you’ve read about on this page, I have developed a number of coaching programs designed to support specific industry groups:
- Coaching for architects, designers, creative agencies and Professional services
- Coaching for Builders, and tradespeople (this page)
- Coaching for Husband and wife businesses
- Coaching for Studios, salons and workshops
- Coaching for Retail businesses
More reading, books, surveys, webinars
- How to grow and develop a small construction company, CEO today
- Four ways to make your construction company a success, QBE blog
- Take 5 minutes to complete my Free Is-Business-Coaching-Right-For-You-Quiz to help you decide if I am the right Business-Life Coach and Mentor for you at this stage of your business journey.
- Find out about my Five Steps to Discovery Process here.
- What is Business-Life Coaching anyway and why would you care?
- Read about the 7 Big Questions all business owners face when developing their business
- Download my free books, White papers, Special Reports and webinars
- Read about all of my business coaching programs.
- Read about the various forms of business support, guidance and advice that are available to small business owners.