The highs, lows and pitfalls ofhusband and wife business teams
Complete the Beyoncé and Jay-Z Family Business Survey and start a life changing conversation with your spouse now.
What happens when business partners wake up in the same bed every day?
I specialise in working with husband and wife family business partners to help them discover and build their own Beautiful Business and Life and then build it. Typically, businesses such as these are built on the profession of one of the couple. Husband and wife family businesses like these make up the majority of small business partnerships in Australia.
“Roland helped us get clear on our roles and responsibilities in the business and find a realistic balance between work and home life again… Business is Fun again” Mark and Linda
Operations, marketing and admin
Often (but not always of course) it is the husband’s trade or profession that lies at the foundation of the business, and he runs the operations of the business (the work of the business), while the wife runs the marketing, finances, the HR issues, and the admin.
A husband and wife family business partnership such as this can be highly satisfactory and profitable and what’s more, it can allow the couple to grow and develop together. But there are also a bunch of unique challenges to developing a small family business and having it become a Beautiful Business that Stands the Test of Time. More about the unique mental health and personal wellbeing challenges of running a family business on this page. If you’re ready start to discover and build your own Beautiful Business and Life, click here now to book in a Discovery Session with me as part of my Five Steps to Discovery Process.
Complete the Bey and Jay Family Business Survey
Take the Beyoncé and Jay-Z Family Business Survey, to find out how you rate against the world’s most famous married business partners. Complete the questionnaire here. It will take you no more than a few minutes to complete and you will receive a 2 page report with your score, showing where you sit on the Bey and Jay Family Business Scale. Ideally you and your spouse should both complete the survey independently and then compare results.
We love being life- as well as business partners, we’ve learned to communicate at a completely different level with each other and we both love standing in the centre of our lives having this great sense of control.
Anh and James
Here is a cool info graphic about how to make a success of being in business with your spouse on the Business Families Foundation website
What you can expect when working with me:
This is how I’ll help you build a Beautiful Family Business that supports your family rather than fights with it:
- Develop absolute clarity about your roles and responsibilities in the business, allowing both of you to relax knowing that the important stuff is handled every day and every week.
- Implement better bookkeeping, workflow management and project management systems. Your fingers on the pulse of all the key indicators of the health of your business, as opposed to keeping your fingers crossed.
- Develop absolute clarity abut the Purpose of your business; the reason your business exists and why anybody else would care about that. Know where you’re going and how you’re going to get there.
- Build relationships with the right people. Referral marketing is the most powerful way to build your business.
- Develop marketing strategies that mean you get to build your business with the right type of clients. Clients walk in the door, wanting to do business with you.
- Develop and implement Quality Improvement systems that allow you let your staff get on with things confident the work will be consistent. Make your business run like a Swiss clock.
- Develop and implement better hiring systems so you can be sure you get the right people on the bus
- Create a balance between work and home that is practical and flexible; Learn how to ‘leave work at work’ when it needs to be left there.
“One of the reasons we decided to go out on our own was to increase not just flexibility but we wanted freedom of choice … to be the masters of our destiny and that is definitely one of the benefits of running a husband and wife business.”
Kylie and Jake
Complete the Bey and Jay Family Business Survey
Don’t forget, take the Beyoncé and Jay-Z Family Business Survey, to find out how you rate against the world’s most famous married business partners. Complete the questionnaire here and you’ll receive a 2 page report usually in hours.. It will take you no more than a few minutes to complete. Ideally you and your spouse should both complete the survey independently and then compare results.
It’s fun thing to do and it will lead to some great conversations between the two of you… I promise you
Just Five Steps to Discovery
If you recognise some of the challenges of being in business with your spouse, above and you’d like to explore how I can help you overcome some of those everyday struggles and start to make the most of the exciting opportunities as a couple in business, click here to book in a free Discovery session as part of my Five Steps to Discovery Process.
Read here about Five Steps to Discovery Process, to help you discover and build your own Beautiful Business and Life.
Further reading and resources
- More about the various forms of business support, guidance and advice that are available to small business owners here
- More about Family Business Coaching programs here
- More about the principles of Business-Life Coaching and why you would care about that, here.
- Five videos about mental health and wellbeing in business from the Federal Department of Jobs and Small business
- Download my free books, Special Reports, webinars and other resources here
- More about the 7 Big Questions all business owners face when developing their business here.