Architects, Designers, Creative agencies, Professional services
Business-Life coaching and the arts
I have coached many architects, designers, and owners of creative agencies in the last 11 years. I love the passion that designers have for their profession and their craft. As a business coach for professionals, architects and designers, I understand that there is a unique set of challenges in marrying business with art and a design mindset.
“Roland helped me put my work into a bigger context which defined the purpose of my business and brought clarity to my decisions.”
Does this sound like you?
These are some of the things, in my role as a business coach for professionals, I often hear architects and designers say:
- “I love creating amazing buildings (websites, offices, brochures, brands), but clients rarely want to pay for the time it takes to create… Good design takes time.”
- “My clients expect me to be at every meeting and to personally design every detail of their project, they insist on speaking to me personally instead of my staff.”
- “I don’t know which projects I make money on and which lose money.”
- “My staff earn more money than I do.”
- “Nobody in my practice has a clue what it costs to run this business.”
- “Clients use me as a free consultant and then they go shopping for the cheapest quote.”
- “I don’t seem to be able to move away from small alts and adds/ little websites… etc”
- “I’m always waiting to get paid”
- “I run around from crisis to crisis all day.”
- “I’m a designer, not an accountant.”
- “I just seem to be managing people these days instead of designing amazing buildings/ websites/ brands.”
Building a design agency that is founded on your passion and creativity can be especially tricky at times. Your clients come to you for your creative reputation and they often resist dealing with your staff. And turning a design practice into a profitable business while being true to your principles is a constant balancing act.
“Roland helped transform my business daydreams in to a practical, pragmatic and actionable plan… And then we made it happen”
What you can expect:
As a business coach for professionals, this is how I’ll help you build a business that stands the test of time:
- Implementing better bookkeeping, workflow management and project management systems. Your fingers on the pulse of all the key indicators of the health of your business, as opposed to keeping your fingers crossed.
- Developing absolute clarity about the Purpose of your business; the reason your business exists and why anybody else would care about that. Know where you’re going and how you’re getting there.
- Building relationships with the right people. Referral marketing is the most powerful way to build your business.
- Developing marketing strategies that mean you get to build your business with the right type of clients. Clients walk in the door, wanting to do business with you.
- Developing and implementing Quality systems that allow you let people get on with things confident the work will be consistent. Make your agency or practice run like a Swiss clock.
- Developing better approaches to managing and engaging your staff consultants, so that you won’t have to stand there and watch them all day.
“Working with Roland transformed me and my business. It now flows. It’s less stressful and more enjoyable.”
Next step: The Five Steps:
If you do recognise some of those statements above, then I’d love to have a chat with you to explore if it might be a good idea for us to work together. To explore that question I generally ask people to work through my 5-Step Discovery Process with me, which is purely designed to answer that question for both of us.
The first steps in the process are free and there will be no pressure in any form. At the end of the process, it will be clear to both of us if we should engage and go on a journey and adventure together or not. follow the link to the 5-Step Discovery Process page. The page also outlines all of my regular programs. You can also go straight to my online booking calendar to book a free initial chat.
Business support, coaching and mentoring
There are many forms of support available to business owners: Short term, long-term, government-funded, private, highly personal and customised, or more templated. There is an entire page on this site that details the 7 main types of business support available. How to find the right support for your business is also one of the 7 Big Questions about building a beautiful business and life.
Business owners I work with and industry-specific coaching programs
I have written in detail about the business owners I work with, and furthermore, as you’ve read about on this page, I have developed a number of coaching programs designed to support specific industry groups:
- Coaching for architects, designers, creative agencies and Professional services (this page)
- Coaching for Builders, and tradespeople
- Coaching for Husband and wife businesses
- Coaching for Studios, salons and workshops
- Coaching for Retail businesses
More reading, books, surveys, webinars
- Take 5 minutes to complete my Free Is-Business-Coaching-Right-For-You-Quiz to help you decide if I am the right Business-Life Coach and Mentor for you at this stage of your business journey.
- Find out about my Five Steps to Discovery Process here
- What is Business-Life Coaching anyway and why would you care?
- Read about the 7 Big Questions all business owners face when developing their business
- Download my free books, White papers, Special Reports and webinars
- Read about all of my business coaching programs.
- Read about the various forms of business support, guidance and advice that are available to small business owners.