Coaching for Studios, Salons, Workshops
Over the past 11 years, I have coached and mentored many owners of Salons, Studios and Workshops. Studio businesses are all about having jobs booked on a schedule and having to complete the job inside the schedule. In that way, a hair or nail salon operates quite similarly to a mechanics workshop (hairdressers, beauty salons, panel beaters, print studios etc). As a coach for Studios and Workshops, I understand that the Studio business model has all kinds of unique challenges.
“Working with Roland has been the most productive time I have ever dedicated to myself and my business.”
(Anna Field, The Paddington Beauty Room)
Does this sound like you?
These are some of the things I often hear owners of Studios, Salons and Workshops say:
- “As soon as I’ve finished training my staff, and they start to work out well, they leave me again.”
- “I can never know how busy the day or the week is going to be, rostering my staff is a nightmare.”
- “I get so many tyre kickers ringing up, they waste so much of my time”
- “My staff just don’t care the way I do, and my customers know it.”
- “My staff earn more money than I do.”
- “I do everything I can to look after my staff but they walk all over me.”
- “To be profitable we have to focus on ‘upselling’ our clients, but we just don’t seem to be very good at it.”
- “I keep my fingers crossed every day that we don’t get too many cancellations or that we’ll have enough walk-ins.”
- “I spend a fortune advertising the studio in the local rags, but I’m not sure it actually pays off.”
- “I have to be on the Studio floor all day to make sure things don’t fall apart, so I can only work “on” the business at night.”
- “I focus a lot on safety in the Studio, but I live in fear of being audited by Workcover one day.”
Running a Studio type of business can be incredibly stressful and it can feel like all you can do is react to what happens rather than pro-actively build your business. Finding and keeping the right staff is often one of the greatest challenges, industry wages are generally relatively low and hence the staff are often highly itinerant. Marketing on a tight budget and time management are also often particular challenges because of the many distractions the day brings.
“Great results require great effort and great guidance, Roland is such a guide”
What you can expect:
How I’ll help you build a business that stands the test of time:
- Finding absolute clarity about the Purpose of your business and developing a comprehensive but practical business plan and marketing plan from that foundation. Know where you’re going and how you’re getting there.
- Improving the look and feel of your business; Clients feel comfortable and trust your business is going to give them what they need.
- Developing HR thinking and systems that make the process of hiring, engaging and keeping great staff easier. Build a great engaged team of people.
- Implementing better bookkeeping and workshop management systems, so you know where you make money and where you lose money. Your fingers on the pulse of all the key indicators of the health of your business.
- Strengthening sales skills throughout the business; Sales conversion rates double and triple.
- Improving health and safety discipline and management in a practical way. Fewer accidents, lower premiums, fewer sick days.
Next step: The Five Steps:
If you do recognise some of those statements above, then I’d love to have a chat with you to explore if it might be a good idea for us to work together. To explore that question I generally ask people to work through my 5-Step Discovery Process with me, which is purely designed to answer that question for both of us.
The first steps in the process are free and there will be no pressure in any form. At the end of the process, it will be clear to both of us if we should engage and go on a journey and adventure together or not. follow the link to the 5-Step Discovery Process page. The page also outlines all of my regular programs. You can also go straight to my online booking calendar to book a free initial chat.
Business support, coaching and mentoring
There are many forms of support available to business owners: Short term, long-term, government-funded, private, highly personal and customised, or more templated. There is an entire page on this site that details the 7 main types of business support available. How to find the right support for your business is also one of the 7 Big Questions about building a beautiful business and life.
Business owners I work with and industry-specific coaching programs
I have written in detail about the business owners I work with, and furthermore, as you’ve read about on this page, I have developed a number of coaching programs designed to support specific industry groups:
- Coaching for architects, designers, creative agencies and Professional services
- Coaching for Builders, and tradespeople
- Coaching for Husband and wife businesses
- Coaching for Studios, salons and workshops (this page)
- Coaching for Retail businesses
More reading, books, surveys, webinars
- Take 5 minutes to complete my Free Is-Business-Coaching-Right-For-You-Quiz to help you decide if I am the right Business-Life Coach and Mentor for you at this stage of your business journey.
- Find out about my Five Steps to Discovery Process here.
- What is Business-Life Coaching anyway and why would you care?
- Read about the 7 Big Questions all business owners face when developing their business
- Download my free books, White papers, Special Reports and webinars
- Read about all of my business coaching programs.
- Read about the various forms of business support, guidance and advice that are available to small business owners.